March 28, 2010

We've listened; we've plugged our ears.

Yeah. Health care reform. Nobody wants to talk about it. Everybody wants to talk about it.

Consistent with the American way, I'm interested in how this act effects me. Isn't everyone? All the passionate arguments are rooted in one of these two facts: This act is going to help me, or this act is not going to help me. And then, why I think you should agree with me.

So here it goes.
I will immediately be positively effected by health care reform. Last week I wrote down the medical things I needed to get done before getting kicked off my parent's insurance this Winter. I also made a list of all my current medical needs and expenses. I calculated it would be cheaper for me to work under 20 hours a week post graduation and thus be able stay on my parent's insurance. Realizing this sucked because for the first time my life was being altered because of health insurance.

BUT, because of President Obama's health care reform, I will be able to stay on my parent's insurance until I turn 26, REGARDLESS OF MY MARITAL AND WORK STATUS. This is amazing. And really, very consistent with the times.

Ian Shapira of the Washington Post wrote in "Health bill gives millennials extra cushion in adulthood,"
"In it's bureaucratic way, the government's restructuring of health care sets a new starting point for independent adulthood: no longer at age 18 or 21, but deep in the 20's."
I've been thinking this all along. It is true. I'm not 21 and married and about to have a baby like women of previous generations. I could if I wanted, but I don't. (And I don't think that is a bad way to go.) But I'm 21 and ready to see something, to experience something, to start my life and health care reform makes that DIRECTLY possible.

Of course this is not the only way I'm effected (both negatively and positively), but last week's concern has turned into this week's jubilation. And that is worth noting.

No comments:

Post a Comment