January 10, 2010

planes, trains and automobiles

It was a mutual decision between Jethro and I to recognize New Years Eve as our anniversary... because hello, we HAD to choose a date so I had an annual excuse to ask for a nice dinner and some jewelry. (KIDDING.) Alas, a year has gone by and I am not sure the first few weeks in January will come again without me pondering the beginning of 2009. So many events and activities filled the last year, and I cannot believe Jethro and I were so lucky to endure most of them together. Collectively, we have taken

34 flights
3 train rides
4 road trips

visiting over 25 cities, three islands and spanning three countries. I almost calculated the miles we crossed but gave up. I smile with disbelief when I consider those numbers, and remember that we have been LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY. I am constantly trying to plan our next adventure, refusing to admit that I have already racked up enough travel points for the next five years. Who wants to go to Denmark? I hear Egypt is nice this time of year.

Yesterday I made Jethro and I sit down and make a budget for the next year. Next thing you know I'll be hoarding Subway napkins in my glove compartment for an emergency spill and stocking my house with flashlights and AA batteries. What can I say? I'm 21 going on 40. After some grumbling, Jethro decided this was a good idea. This brings me to a very important point. Where I am unorganized, Jethro holds it together. Where Jethro is unorganized, I am anal retentive. Balance, people, that's what it's all about. The hokey pokey is for lunatics. And skating parties.

What I'm trying to say is that this year is going to be way more focused on getting down to business. I am going to graduate, and have I mentioned how excited I am to seek a real job? HAHA. Regardless, it will undoubtedly be one of the defining events of this coming year. I am excited (an anxious and terrified!) to see where this accomplishment takes us. Or if we decide to move for Jethro's studies, that will be excellent too. Either way, I think it is going to be an interesting year, one of those "defining years" in the scrapbook, if you will, and I'm ready for all the changes in the world.

Maybe I shouldn't have gone that far.

1 comment:

  1. number one-i am extremely jealous of you...you wanderlust. how i long to travel, but alas, i guess i will have to leave that for the second chapter of my life.

    number two-i totally get it...it's all about balance, people, seriously.

    number three-the hokey pokey was the WORST at skating parties! I always fell on my ass!

    i'm glad you are a blogger, mara.

    ReplyDelete