October 21, 2010

we'll all float on

Income, you ask?

The details of my job are quite simple. I make coffee, smoothies and yummy food. The more I learn the more this job seems to fit. What do you know, a college degree and I'm making smoothies.

Also, despite being horrendously late and flipping spilling coffee on my sweater, I've officially been hired at job number 2! I mean, I probably set myself up for this failure. If you're drinking coffee on the way to an interview, it will end up on your sweater. It's like logic. Psh. Or perhaps the universe saying, "Off with your head!"

Long term, I'm plan-less. We're going camping this weekend with our neighbors and their friends. Alas, this town is wearing off on me. I want to trade a third of my clothes for hiking boots, a three season sleeping bag, long johns and a new pack. I'm thankful I have these jobs to fill my bank account through the winter. I'm still unsure how/if I want to put my hard earned degree to work. I don't want to let that piece of paper define me, but it was no easy venture and there is certainly something to say for the individual with a "title."

evencleveland writes so perfectly on her blog, "I look at online job listings with a vague sense of panic and dread, unconvinced of my ability to be the person they are looking for, and yet unwilling to give up the idea that somehow I can fit into this marvelous machine of regulated human effort and toil, that I can find a job - a definition - that provides a pat answer at parties and a steady stream of income."

To beat a dead bird with a stick, I guess that's life. Finding where you belong and then diving naked into a pool of certainty. If I'm supposed to be grown, I don't feel so. Yes, a "typical" American youth--unprepared for the real world with a basket of dreams and pocket full of expectations. But I'm at the beginning of the road again - free and thrilled - similar to how I felt when I moved into my first apartment. When I don't want to be here I'll find somewhere else, but this is a great place to float.

1 comment:

  1. This album is currently on my ipod.
    Such good working music :)

    We need to have a phone/skype? maybe? if my computer decides to cooperate? date soon.
    I want to hear all about everything!

    ReplyDelete