October 27, 2010

Pisgah National Forest

So about them hikin' bewts?

This past weekend I went "for serious" camping - no electricity, water, the whole nine - for the first time and I never want to do anything else ever. I can't believe we are headed into Winter and that I am about to start job number two because I HAVE ROCKS TO SLEEP ON AND FIRES TO MAKE.

We hiked to our camping location in the dark Saturday night which provided a beautiful surprise when we woke Sunday. I opened my morning eyes to see tall yellow trees shedding their leaves across the sky. True to personality, Jethro had already been up for two hours, jumping rocks down the creek and taking hundreds of photographs.



We roasted little smokies over the fire for breakfast and had a quiet, chill morning until logic bit me in the ass.


It turns out running shoes and hiking boots do not have equivalent traction when it comes to wet rocks. Science. I trusted myself to hoist my body but my right foot slipped and then my left and then I was on my stomach sliding backwards down this little waterfall.



Yeah. Nice one. And when Jethro ran over to my rescue, spewing serious questions and trying not to laugh, all I could say was, "I'm just COLD." and maybe some cursing.

I'm really lucky I did not end up in the pond. (There's always next time.)

So yeah, about them hikin' bewts?

2 comments:

  1. Firstly, BEAUTIFUL photos
    Secondly, omg I love you. [And I want to visit badly. Soon!]

    I also insist on wearing tennis shoes, lest I have to Purchase hikin' bewts. Which are kind of a lot expensive, and not as cute as my tennis shoes.
    I have slipped down red dirt, slippery rocks, slimy nonsense, and my own two feet.
    I still insist on wearing them.
    When you find an awesome pair of bewts that don't look ridiculous on my enormous feet? You Let Me Know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freaking, I know. Expensive, ugly, bulky, UGH. Not good. I'm thinking I'll settle for hiking shoes because at least they are not quite as horrendous looking.

    I'll let you know what I found. And I need to talk to you and Mark about sleeping bags!

    ReplyDelete