September 8, 2010

letter from my grandmother



The beginning of the letter talks of simplicity -- card games with out-of-town friends, polka festivals, canning pickles. Today I meditate on the happiness found in simple activities.

Life is slow. I'm jobless, not enrolled in school and vastly happy with what I will be able to accomplish during this transition. 

For me, there are two kinds of books. There is the "bathroom" variety, which can be leisurely picked up every few weeks. And then there are dive books, where despite all attempts to slowly engage, all life must halt until the back cover meets the front. I love both of them.

Although I consider myself a reader, it has been months since I've picked up a book for pleasure. As for many, the security I find in books is not paralleled elsewhere and reading has released a dormant calm within.

Reading represents my desire to slow down and do what I like to do. That doesn't mean I'll forget responsibility. It just means that I should not let guilt and expectations sway my choices. And you know, when I'm too old to do things, go places, climb, swim and fall over laughing, I won't feel sorry for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment