May 24, 2010

Clarity II

Today I started my internship. I am working for PR agency and this is a bit out of my element. Not surprisingly, journalism and public relation degrees are heavily intertwined. However, while the professions require similar communication skills, the writing for each is very unique. PR writing doesn't flow the same way journalism writing does, and it is something I'll certainly have to work at.

I'm working from home, not my home, but a home, and I spent the whole day in front of a computer. I know that this is my future - researching, compiling, interviewing, writing, editing, REPEAT - and to be honest, this feels great. Regardless, I feel so unprepared for a professional, forty-plus hour a week job. Today really gave me a small taste of what it is like to work OUT THERE *gasp* in the wild, where my work really counts. "A" papers count much more than "B's", and "D" papers will likely end in no-more-assignments-for-you-have-fun-on-unemployment. To be a writer, a journalist, a person who does not have a right and wrong that is anything but subjective, is complicated for a perfectionist because it's never done. The story is never over because this is REAL PEOPLE, REAL LIFE we are talking about. And a single house fire has so many stories, so many angles, so many follow-ups.

And that is what I want to do.

Or maybe I want to go into PR. I don't know. But I like being out there on the edge, discovering the new and finding out how it effects the old (me).

No comments:

Post a Comment