August 31, 2010

guilt free

I’m going to make this commitment while I have a clear head that is free from the overwhelming stress brought on by the sight of boxes and unorganized piles.

I, Mara Hansen, solemnly swear not to unpack a single object without knowing its intended purpose. All unnecessary possessions will be removed in a timely fashion.

I began “The Happiness Project” by Gretchen Rubin in which the author accounts of her year-long happiness project. Early in the book Rubin aims to boost her energy, a task that includes eliminating physical clutter. Relating far too often, I recognized that I am being oppressed by a few kinds of clutter.

Bargain Clutter: the result of buying unnecessary items simply because they are on sale

Conservation Clutter: the result of keeping things that are useful, but not to me

And a particularly eye-opening moment:
“The kind of clutter that I found most disagreeable was buyer’s remorse clutter, when, rather than admit that I’d made a bad purchase, I hung on to things until somehow I felt they’d been “used up” by sitting in a closet or on a shelf—“ p.28

Oh God. I have Buyer’s Remorse Clutter. If I may, I’d like to add my own-- Guilt Clutter-- which is made up of items that you would feel guilty for discarding.

For my 18th birthday my sister ordered me a personalized, thoughtful gift that was meant to hang on the wall. The problem was I didn’t care for the gift. Over the course of three years I would randomly find the piece of art in a box under my bed and feel guilty and helpless. I blamed myself for not liking the gift. What’s worse is that a small part of me actually blamed her for my unrest. Before my most recent move I found the gift one last time and started to cry. I knew I would never utilize the gift and my anxiety was rising. A split second decision prompted me to pick up the phone and call Alie. I had to tell her and decided to ask if she wanted the gift. She said yes and I was free of the unnecessary guilt.

I bet most people have a similar possession. The problem was not that I disliked the gift, the problem was that the gift was housing the guilt. The gift was not important. By getting rid of the gift I did not get rid of the love and thoughtfulness my sister intended when she placed the order. However, even now that is hard for me to realize.

I need clutter out of my life.

And you, yeah you! Read “The Happiness Project”.

No comments:

Post a Comment