February 16, 2010

Ch-ch-ch-changes & nostalgia

I recall a perfect mixture of exhaustion and elation; my bags were absent but I had just arrived at Summer, a perfect four months early. Walking the diagonal path through Light Square, I was wearing black leggings for the third day in a row and a purple-tank top I had purchased at Target 24 hours earlier. It was midday, my first full day in Australia and I was going exploring. I remember looking up at the clear sky, completely lost in the moment and completely unaware of what the day had to bring, but I was ready. That was a year ago, Sunday.

I often relate back to my travels. Parts of me emerged on that trip. Some were dark and weak; I struggled with loneliness and anxiety. Others were vibrant. I relied on myself, tried new things and explored. I learned how to travel, for which there are no guidelines or rules. Traveling is a breading ground for growth, and I believe that is why I ponder it so often.

I've never seen the movie this quote is from. Probably the the third time we communicated through e-mail, Jethro sent it to me after he learned of some big changes in my life, including leaving the country.

"I'll miss the sea, but a person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside allowing us to grow. Without change something sleeps inside us and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." -- Frank Herbert

No comments:

Post a Comment